Thursday, November 4, 2010

Azheimer's Walk at Tennessee Tech


I want to dedicate this post to Miss Tennessee International 2011, Bobbie Marie Gregg. This is her platform. I want to let you know that I truly understand the meaning of what Alzheimer's is, and I will help you in anyway I can with your platform.  This was such a blessing to be able to attend this event. So many people don't realize what aAlzheimer's is. This is a disease that just doesn't affect one person but many people. I pray that this disease has a cure in the years to come. For you all that don't know me, I am big on my faith. I am a Christian. I prayed over every single person I came into contact with that had this disease. I believe that there is a younger generation and that they need to step up and help.
 I want to say thank you to all of the college students and high school students that were there. Most teenagers don't want to wake up and the crack of dawn and attend a "walk". This was such an eye opener for them just as much as it was for me. I helped serve popcorn and hot dogs to people and that sure was fun. This was the largest walk that Cookeville has ever had. I am so excited to be apart of something so big. I can't wait to help next year and the year after that. I want to make sure that everyone is aware of this disease, and I pray that someone can find a cure to heal the person with disease and also the hearts of the people that are hurting for them.
 
Alzheimer's disease is a progressive neuralgic disease of the brain that leads to the irreversible loss of neurons and dementia. The clinical hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease are progressive impairment in memory, judgment, decision making, orientation to physical surroundings, and language. A working diagnosis of Alzheimer disease is usually made on the basis of the neuralgic examination. A definitive diagnosis can be made only at autopsy. On a cellular level, Alzheimer's disease is characterized by unusual helical protein filaments in nerve cells (neurons) of the brain. These odd twisted filaments are called neurofibrillary tangles. On a functional level, there is degeneration of the cortical regions, especially the frontal and temporal lobes, of the brain. Alzheimer's disease is the most common of all neurodegenerative diseases. It accounts for about two-thirds of cases of dementia with vascular causes and other neurodegenerative diseases making up most of the rest. (http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=2213)
 
We all need to be the change in the world. I know for a fact that I want to help with Alzheimer's Walks and I am passionate about helping others. I will post pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment